Heather and Hugh Cameron maintain and develop this historic 1880s station garden north of Jerilderie in western New South Wales.
Story By Kathy Mexted
It’s only right that The Yanko’s best garden view should be from the merino sheds. Encompassed by a sweeping circular drive and bounded by Yanco Creek to the north, tennis court to the east and historic outbuildings to the west and south, The Yanko’s garden has been the centre stage for station life since Sir Samuel Wilson established it as a merino breeding station, 26 kilometres north of Jerilderie, NSW, in 1880. From their vantage point beyond the vegetable garden and the orchard, the prize rams now gaze across a calming vista dominated by a mature plane tree shading the homestead’s entire front lawn.
No matter whether seasons were boom or bust, Sir Samuel apparently instructed that no swagman be refused food, and 1300 travellers were afforded rations in early 1883 from the store in the 1.2-hectare garden.
The garden today still provides a welcome and cool refuge as it weaves around the homestead, jackaroo quarters, station store, cookhouse, guest wing and free-standing gauze enclosed sleep-out.
This story excerpt is from Issue #91
Outback Magazine: Oct/Nov 2013